Lilies may be pretty, but they can be deadly to your kitty

As spring and Easter approach, it is important to keep these toxic plants away from our feline friends, as ingestion may cause kidney failure.  The entire plant is considered poisonous to cats, so any sign of consumption is cause for concern.  The following signs could indicate lily toxicity: vomiting, loss of appetite, and lethargy.  If your cat has eat a lily plant, or shows any of the above symptoms, please call us immediately.

The following lilies are known to be dangerous to cats:

  • Easter lily
  • Tiger lily
  • Rubrum lily
  • Japanese show lily
  • Day lily

And what about our canine friends?  Ingestion of lilies by dogs can cause some minor gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea), but has not been known to damage the kidneys.

For more information, please visit: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/veterinarians/free-resources-clinic-clients/no-lilies-for-kitties/